This is not a traditional mousse recipe and it doesn't replace my standby recipe at all. However this recipe is very tasty especially if you put nice chocolate in it. I was pretty shocked actually- seeing as one of the main ingredients is marshmallows. Anyway- just try it! I made this mousse on a weeknight and my boyfriend asked "How long did this take you to make?" I didn't tell him that it literally took 15 minutes.
Instant Chocolate Mousse
Adapted from Nigella Lawson's recipe
Makes 4-6 servings depending on your craving level. When I made this I cut the recipe in half.
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 9 ounces best quality semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup hot water from a recently boiled kettle
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings for garnish (optional)
- Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on the stove, over low heat, stirring until everything melts together. Remove from the heat. Let this mixture cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla until thick and then fold into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into small dishes, top with chocolate shavings and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.