|Spaghetti with spicy tomato sauce|
Adapted from this recipe
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 dried red chilies, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 14-ounce cans of plum tomatoes, sieved
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb of spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over low heat. Add the chilies, garlic and onion, and cook gently for around 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and break them up with your hands or a wooden spoon. Let the sauce cook until it is quite thick, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti in the salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the red vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the drained pasta and the reserved pasta water to the sauce, and toss to coat.