|Comforting Homemade Soup|
Adapted from this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 tablespoons butter (if you want to make this vegan, use olive oil instead)
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, sprig of rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Break up the tomatoes a little using a wooden spoon.
- Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Puree the soup in a blender in batches, being careful to remove and discard the bay leaf. Return the soup to the pot and keep warm over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.