|Image from Tender Crumb|
The Baked Brownie
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dark unsweetened cocoa
- 11 oz. dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 eggs at room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9×13″ glass or light-colored metal baking pan.
- In a medium bow, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, instant espresso powder, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat. Whisk in the sugars. Add 3 eggs to the mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Sprinkle in the flour mixture, and fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes (note: my brownies were done in 25 minutes), rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- When cool, cut the brownies into squares. These keep tightly wrapped for up to three days.