I’m a big fan of salads but sometimes they don’t feel like a full meal for dinner. This taco salad is packed with flavor and protein that really fills me up. I wrote the recipe using what I put in my salad last time but salads are a great way to use up any extra veggies you have in your fridge- so experiment! I made this healthier than what you may get in a Mexican restaurant by skipping the sour cream, using salsa as dressing, lean turkey meat, reduced fat cheese, & just a few tortilla chips for crunch rather than that big fried bowl.
|Mmm taco salad|
Healthy Taco Salad
Makes 2 servings
- ½ lb lean ground turkey
- ½ can Rotel tomatoes
- ¼ packet of taco seasoning mix (low sodium)
- ½ cup of frozen Southwest blend (peppers, black beans, corn, & onions)
- Lettuce of your choice
- 1/8 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- I boiled egg, chopped
- 10 tortilla chips, crushed
- Brown the turkey in a skillet on the stove. Once it has cooked through add the tomatoes, taco seasoning, and veggie blend and stir until heated through and flavors have melded (about 5 minutes). If you prefer the meat to be cold, chill this mixture in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make your salads.
- Put the lettuce into bowls and top with the shredded cheese, chips and egg. Dress the salad with salsa and top with turkey mixture.